Thursday, October 18, 2012

Changes

Dear Readers, 
    I love the the transitional seasons. Both autumn and spring feel embroidered with possibility. The year is dominated by summer and winter and by the end of each season I feel the oppressive monotony of perpetual heat or constant ice. It is in the in-between stages where you can witness the world dramatically change and grow. For the first time I am getting the full fall experience. Trees are ubiquitous here in Oregon, and the landscape of green has been set aflame with a myriad of colors from deep red pomegranate to delicate daffodil. Driving to school every morning lets me traverse the valley and witness clouds suspended so close that you could imagine reaching up and brushing them. I look forward to the ritual of taking up layers of knitted goods and woolen coats, and I am equally grateful when in the spring they are shed. The cold calls for cozy socks, hot tea, good books, and nestling up to someone warm.
    I think, like the fall, I am in transition. Within the program we are breaking into partners and honing our skills in practice sessions. I am blown away by how powerful it is to have a platform where you can say whatever is in your head, especially the things that seem too trivial or insecure to confess to others. Just being able to talk without the boundaries of polite conversation is lovely. Don't get me wrong, I love the give and take of good discussion, but it so freeing to ramble in your brain and tease at the knots of your personality with someone who is there just to allow you the space to do that.
    In other news, I have decided to turn my lovely cohort into a book society. Which is a book club but I prefer the word society: it make me feel fancy. To add to that we are going to be meeting at a pub called the Playwright. Which makes the bibliophile in me prance merrily.
     As a means of apologizing for the silence brought on by routine and graduate school reading load, I thought I would give you a tour of my university while it is awash with color and bustling figures dressed to match the leaves.
Love,
The Hedgehog







2 comments:

  1. Eugene had an absolute explosion of firework leaves, but then the rains started. We still have the colours, but they're quite drab in comparison to when they were in the sunlight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I envy your seasons my thunder cloud... I love that you have such a cozy comforting time of year. :D

    ReplyDelete