Thursday, November 29, 2012

Being Brave: Day One

Hello Readers,
    I would like to paint a picture for you of five year old me. Imagine, if you will, a mess of long, unbrushed, thick, golden brown hair. A pair of disproportionally large liquid chocolate eyes. A crooked smile, off set by a dimple missing its pair. I wore a white ruffled petticoat everywhere, proudly declaring it my tutu and where ever I tread, I did so on my "hippie-toes" more conventionally know as tippy-toes. I sang at the top of my lungs and I danced where ever I went. I was an unstoppable force. Nothing scared me, and no doubts of my awesomeness disturbed my exuberant mind.
    I want to be five year old me. Maybe a little better brushed, and I may consider confining the tutu to special occasions. I am starting a new project. I want to live without fear and to everyday take on the risk and challenge of being me. I want to live with that courage and disregard of judgement. So, everyday for the next month, my little sister and I are going to challenge each other to do something brave. Something that pushes us out of our comfort zones and asks us to go beyond our hesitations. I have so many small unspoken fears in everyday life that sap my energy and keep me from engaging in life fully. Hopefully, these small acts of everyday bravery will teach me that my fears are unfounded and nudge me into living my life in a more genuine way. You are welcome to join in. If you do let me know.

TODAY'S CHALLENGE:
 Draw and share with the greater cyber-world three things I can't live without. This is scary for me because I come from a whole family of artists and have a perfectionist streak as wide as the Nile. I have learned to circumnavigate this by only sketching for the pure joy of it, but I don't often share. I am not afraid someone will say it is bad, instead I think I worry more that no one will say it's good. However, I am staying true to my new found philosophy. I will not be waiting hopefully for someone to tell me it/I'm good, I have the power to tell myself it's good and for that to be enough but that's a whole different post. Without further ado. Books, music, and tea.

Love,
The Hedgehog




2 comments:

  1. Beautiful little Hedgehog, you are spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely drawing! We can't wait to see you guys! I hope you rock your finals! Muah!

    ReplyDelete